Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Back In The Saddle

Last blog - May 2013.  Wow, what a long time in between meaningful correspondence!  It's good to be back in the saddle.

Life is surely made up of surprises, and in the life of someone with a passion for speaking there is always, ALWAYS, new material.  Take my life in between the last blog and this one, for example.  When last I penned this blog I was fresh from an amazing trip to Rodney Bay, St. Lucia, separated from my second wife, working very long hours in an inside sales job, speaking infrequently at best, and my second book was just a few months old.

Today,  I am preparing for a return trip to Rodney Bay, St. Lucia this coming May, am remarried, and loving life with the very special lady with whom I hope to spend the rest of my life!  I am no longer with the company for which I worked the inside sales job, having only recently left to concentrate on writing and speaking (Hallelujah!).  Prior to my resignation, I had become a trusted voice for the company and hardly went a week without being in front of an audience (need another Hallelujah! on that...) which broadened my audience as well as potential employers of my talent.

My second book, 'Be Known For Your D.E.E.D.S.', has been picked up by The Literary Club as the May Selection for their Atlanta Chapter, and I will be speaking at their National Conference in August!  Feel free to sprinkle in the Hallelujahs as you read :)  Yes, much has changed!  Finally, I am still working through my first novel, Jonny Pleasant. 'Jonny' has been with me since 1992. He came to light as a short story 20+ years ago, and has been growing and developing since.

A lot happens in the in-between!  It's like the heartfelt story we have heard about 'the dash'.  Most often the dash is told during someone's memorial service.  The dash on a grave marker separates the date of birth and the date of the person's death.  As told, the dash is representative of the life lived by the deceased, and the relevance to the congregation is expressed as a challenge to make 'the dash' (life yet to be lived) count for something.

In between May of 2013 and today (April 2d, 2014), I have experienced the great highs of preaching in St. Lucia and getting married.  I have also lived through the great lows of seemingly endless 80-hour work weeks and divorce.  All around me have been friends, relatives, co-workers, acquaintances, and strangers living out their own in-between moments, and all of us are either in the saddle or looking forward to the day when we ride yet again!

Being in the saddle is that period of our lives when it all seems to have come together.  That period may be brief, and it may endure for many years.  All we can do is ride, make the best decisions we can given the information at the time, and hope to stay on the horse!  If by some chance we find ourselves walking instead of riding, then let us not despair of the journey on foot.  It is a different perspective to be sure, but one with lessons from which we can learn if we pay attention, and then mount up to ride again.

I leave you today with this blessing:  "May your time in the saddle point to the sunset knowing your in-between was fruitful and the dash was better than you planned."

Fearlessly,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment