Monday, June 23, 2014

Assumptions Without Foundations

Assuming can work in our favor.  When I assume a Cigar Bar will be a good experience based upon the testimonials of trusted friends, and the Manager of a favorite Cigar Store, I will very likely be making a correct assumption.  The same applies to a restaurant, a specialty store, a vacation destination, a line of shoes, and the list goes on and on.  When we base an assumption on collected information and the testimonies of those who have ‘been there before’ we are rarely disappointed.

But assuming something to be so when we have no corroborating testimonials and no personal experience can lead to incorrect assumptions, and a disappointing result.  Case in point:  I presented a program recently which required the use of PowerPoint.  I developed the presentation in my office on my desktop computer. I based upon the presentation on a PowerPoint strategy I have used successfully many times in years past.

With a black background in the slides, white text, and special words highlighted in red, the message, coupled with slow transitions, fading in and out from black, are impactful.  I knew the presentation cold so looking at the slides was unnecessary, and this adds to the impact. But when at the venue, what if when the lights are brought low, there remains indirect light from two sources which cannot be turned off, and the ambient glare from the sunlight filtered through the blinds further brightens a ‘dimmed’ room?
I’ll tell you ‘what if’ . . .

The black background appears a bit washed out and the white text is readable, but not with impactful clarity.  Further, the red, highlighted text is legible, but barely readable.  This means that even though I knew the presentation cold, the impact of the slides had been all but eliminated.  The red, highlighted text which held special meaning appeared to be dim holes in the white text, and I was forced to read many of the slides which should have been a powerful backdrop to my remarks.
In short, my presentation changed from well-rehearsed, seamless, and impactful to ‘rehearsed improv’, hardly seamless, and lacking impact.  Although the presentation was very well received overall, and should be considered a success, one comment was, “I don’t like it when presenters read slides to me.”  Yikes!  Lesson learned . . . again.

When presenting new material, presenting in a new space, presenting in a familiar space but at a different time of day, presenting with new technology, someone else’s equipment, etc., do a dress rehearsal in advance if possible.  Do not assume the perfection you crafted in your office will follow through to the venue.  When you do, you build an assumption without a foundation.

Fearlessly,
JD

No comments:

Post a Comment